Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Learned Lessons and the Future.

Things I learned in 2012:
  • When I have children I will teach them certain things regardless of gender. These include habits of common courtesy, how to cook, clean, and do laundry. It will make them grow into thoughtful, well-rounded adults and while it will not guarantee a successful relationship, it'll sure help cruise over some of those speed bumps!
  • Searching for a job is a full time job. I've done it twice during the last year! It requires a lot of time, patience and perseverance.
  • While we are definitely more exposed to sex, violence and profanity in the media than people were even 10 years ago, some things are edited much more creatively. For example Nazareth's song Hair of the Dog is still widely played on the radio with the unedited lyrics, "Now you're messin' with a son of a bitch." While Bruno Mars isn't allowed to say "you're sex takes me to paradise" in his most recent hit "Locked Out of Heaven." I really don't understand this, seeing as how I'd probably have gotten my mouth washed out with soap if I said "son of a bitch" growing up, but the word "sex," not so much a problem....(I could seriously write an entire blog entry on this topic alone.)
  • Oklahoma isn't so bad, not that I ever truly thought it was, and I miss it dearly.
Goals for 2013 or New Year's resolutions:
Last year I wanted to train for a marathon and send out birthday cards on time to my closest friends and family. I was able to get through half my training before injury and I quickly collected birthday dates and became better in my correspondence. This year I'd like to improve on these things further.
  • Hit the gym or do an at-home work out three times a week. Let's face it, someone could train for a race by only working out once a week. They might have a hard time or not have a spectacular finish, but it would be doable.  I want to improve overall physical and emotional health
  • Become more active on social media sites. A lot of my favorite goals and hobbies are either influenced or excel from the information that can be obtained on these sites. I enjoy modeling, journaling, and keeping in touch with friends. Expect to see a weekly blog *either on Sunday or Monday* and a lot more activity on twitter, as well as modeling pages!
  • I'm stealing this from the front of my stationary cards, "Every single day, do something that makes your heart sing." - Marcia Wieder
  • No matter where I am, see more sites, museums, and new restaurants. 
What are some of the lessons you learned in 2012? Do you have resolutions for 2013?

No comments: